Outward is an open-world RPG set in a where where ‘the cold of the night or an infected wound can be as dangerous as a predator lurking in the dark’. Players are able to explore a vast world (Aurai), whilst being offered an immersive RPG experience paired with survival gameplay.
Throughout the game, payers take on the role of an adventurer who must defend themselves against a variety of creatures, environments and diseases in order to embark on a vast array of missions and expeditions. Players must therefore be ‘cunning, clever and prepared’. Therefore, preparing strategies and strategic gameplay is the key to success.
Key features of Outward include:
- Ability to survive in and explore the wilderness.
- Ability to play solo and cooperatively, with split screen options.
- Step-by-step approach to spell-casting.
- Constant auto-saving options.
- Unique experiences with each and every play-through.
PC Gamer praised the realistic scenarios in the game, stating that ‘You can cast spells, but you’re no Gandalf. You’re just a common citizen. You can even catch a cold.’ Critic Christopher Livingston went on to state that it is the ‘ survival game I’ve been looking for’.