Ashen is an action RPG set in a world where ‘nothing lasts, no matter how tightly you cling to it’. The developers have indicated that the game is about forging bonds and relationships. Players are given the opportunity to ‘guide those that they trust to their camp’ in a bid to survive.
Rather than relying on stats, success within the game (and also character growth) is primarily measured by equipment and ‘talismans’.
Ashen is presented in a third-person view, and contains elements of various classic RPGS.
Key features of Ashen include:
- Passive Multiplayer – players can choose how to interact and deal with other players on their own courses.
- Open World Exploration – players can explore a seemingly limitless world populated by mountains and hand crafted environments.
- Stamina Based Combat – according to the developers, ‘each encounter, no matter how trivial seeming, has the potential to end in disaster’.
- Creatures – players can encounter an array of distinctive creatures and fantastical inhabitants within this world.
- The Town – players have the opportunity to assemble a town with a range of skills and qualities.